Thursday, 29 September 2011

‘Estee Lauder Double Wear Light’ vs ‘Illamasqua Skin Base’ Foundation

So here goes...
I have combination skin - An oily t-zone, normal/slightly dry checks and dry patches often crop up here there and everywhere, even on my t-zone. So already I have a disadvantage when it comes to finding foundations that stay put.
Estee Lauder
For the past year and a half I have been loyal to Estee Lauder ‘Double Wear Light’ and didn’t see the point of trying other foundations just because this one worked so well for me. I once tried the original Estee Lauder ‘Double Wear’ and I completely hated it, it sat on my skin, didn’t blend and they had no colour to match my skin tone so therefore for the whole 2 times I think I wore it I had a lovely tide line on my neck (not such a good look) so I was a bit dubious about trying the ‘Light’ one, but gave in after hearing such good reviews about it.
Product details (taken form the Estee Lauder Website)
Estée Lauder Double Wear Light Stay-in-Place Makeup
·         SPF 10
·         15-hour wear
·         Light as air
·         Long-wear
·         Lightweight makeup

      “ It’s Makeup That Keeps Up”
·         It’s fresh, natural, comfortable
·         Goes on sheer, leaves skin free to breathe all day
·         Controls oil
·         Resists smudging and won't "melt" off through heat and humidity
       For a look that stays vibrant and fresh whether it's a workday, a workout or a weekend.
      Smooth it on once and don't think twice about it.
      FORMULA FACTS:
  • Oil-free
  • Dermatologist-tested
  • Non-acnegenic
  • Won't clog pores
  • Fragrance-free
  • Photo-friendly


So I casually strolled into my local Boots store and asked the lady on the Estee Lauder counter to match me up. She used a foundation brush like any other good make-up artist would but personally I just can’t get on with the finish that a foundation brush leaves on my skin, its great if you prefer a heavier finish but not so great if your foundation falls of your face after a couple of hours, so a heavy finish is just not practical. She still did a great job and I found the foundation finish ‘ok’, however I do have a problem when it comes to buying things, if people have spent their time doing my make-up, hair, nails etc I will buy the product they are selling me, simply because I get ridden with guilt. So unhappy with the finish it gave me using a foundation brush I still went ahead and bought it (which I am so glad I did).
So after applying this foundation, with freshly washed fingers, it was love. It covers my spots, it doesn’t feel heavy on my skin, and the colour match is perfect (hallelujah). This foundation lasts all day on my skin without any retouching or blotting and doesn’t give me spots (win win win).
Foundation routine
 Cleanse, tone and moisturise
Apply my ‘Origins Ginzing’ eye cream and ‘Clean and Clear’ spot treatment. (I then wait 15 minutes before applying my foundation to allow my moisturiser to soak into my skin properly.)
I apply a small pea size amount of foundation to the back of my hand, then using clean fingers I gently blend the foundation onto my skin
I apply Concealer to my blemishes and then continue with the rest of my make-up, I’m then set for the day ahead
I do not apply a finishing powder with this foundation as I simply just don’t need to


Here are some before and after photos:
Before
After


Estee Lauder ‘Double Wear Light’ costs £26.50 which is expensive but each tube lasts me around 6 months and I’m using it every day, which I think is a long time for a foundation to last. The colour I have is intensity 1.0 (I know I am very pale). Not everybody is keen on having SPF in there foundation (as even though Estee Lauder say its photo-friendly) SPFs can sometimes make you look very white in photographs, but I don’t have a problem with this and any protection s great for me and my pale skin.
Still after wearing a foundation for a year and a half I thought it was about time I tried something new. Just because.
So after reading many great reviews I dipped into my purse and bought a ‘Illamasqua’ skin base foundation.
Illamasqua Skin Base Foundation
A little reminder-‘ I have combination skin - An oily t-zone, normal/slightly dry checks and dry patches often crop up here there and everywhere, even on my t-zone’.
I recently read a great review on A girl and her makeup about Illamasqua skin base foundation and instantly I wanted to go out and buy this product, but I forgot that my beautiful friend Kate has gorgeous skin and mine just doesn’t compare (boohoo L)
Product details (taken from the Illamasqua website)
      Inspired by the cult Asian market Beauty Balm creams, Skin Base Foundation is a brand new refined formula unlike anything on the UK market. Easily blendable, it effortlessly creates a perfect complexion, and like the entire Illamasqua foundation range, is undetectable in a professional HD environment. Suitable for all skin types, it smoothes, softens and conditions your skin whilst providing natural, buildable coverage. The Ultimate 'Skin Realism' Foundation.
So when I was shopping in Selfridge’s beauty department I looked over and saw the Illamasqua make-up stall and I was already finding myself marching over in its direction. Again the friendly make-up artist applied my foundation using a brush, this didn’t bother me so much this time as I knew it was just part of her routine. She also advised that I could build up this foundation to cover by blemishes (Great I thought no need to spend extra money on concealers, like I have to with my ‘Double Wear Light’).
After getting home and trying this foundation for myself using freshly cleaned fingers, I applied my foundation in exactly the same way as my Estee Lauder ‘Double Wear Light’ (hurrah) it blended easily and matched my skin tone perfectly so once again no horrible tide lines.
Unfortunately as the day went on I realised this foundation just wasn’t for me (great on anybody who has normal beautiful skin, I will highly recommend it as the finish is brilliant) sadly it just didn’t get on with my skin, It started falling of my oily areas and even after applying my ‘Laura Mercier’ translucent powder it just didn’t want to stay on my skin. I even tried applying primer and still nothing would work. Bad times.  Also after a few days of persisting with this foundation I started to realise I was breaking out with little tiny red spots. (It wasn’t a rash it certainly wasn’t itchy and they weren’t hormonal spots.) I still didn’t want to blame it on my foundation and really tried to make it work with my skin, but yes it turned out it was the foundation that my skin didn’t like. This will not happen to everyone as everyone’s skin reacts differently to different foundation, I also doubt it was a ‘badbatch’ as due to quality control this just wouldn’t happen. I just feel I need to tell people who do suffer with skin like me.  Again if you do have gorgeous skin please visit   A girl and he makeup and read Kate’s review as this will be more suited to you than mine.


Here are some before and after photos:
Before
After
Illamasqua skin base foundation costs £25, which is expensive but for a high end brand you get what you pay for, this product should roughly last 4-6 months, with everyday use. The colour I have is No.05. This product does not have any SPF in it so it will look great on camera.
I will continue with my Estee Lauder ‘Double Wear Light’ foundation for now but am still on the lookout for other foundations to try, so any recommendations will be gratefully received. I also in future will continue to buy products from Illamasqua as they are simply beautiful, I think I may try a blusher or a lippy so again any recommendations will be gratefully received. I look forward to trying out more of their products soon.
Now you’re probably wondering why I compared these two specific foundations. This is because they both have a natural finish- whilst still evening out your skin tone, they are both roughly the same in price, they are both well known brands and both have the same sort of bottle (squeezy tube with a screw top lid).

both 30ml

Speak soon
Sal
xxx
Origins Ginzing eye cram review and  Shopping haul coming soon.

3 comments:

  1. Ah this is very useful, I've always been slightly tempted by Illasmasqua skin base but I don't think my skin would like it! I love EL doublewear as I do love full coverage but might give the light version try as it looks great on your skin! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Illamasqua skin base is a great foundation but it just does not stay on my skin. Nightmare. But the light one is great, good for those days when you skin is looking at its best and you want a lighter coverage.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the review - I'm a Estee Lauder Double Wear Light fan, and it agrees with my skin - however I was looking to buy the Illamasqua to try out; I think I will still try it and compare the results, hopefully it won't cause me breakouts!

    ReplyDelete